Conge / Konge / Snails Xacuti (काँगे / कोंगे शागोती ) : Snails are found in large numbers in the paddy fields near water bodies at the onset of monsoon in the coastal district (konkan). Land Snail “Escargot ” Escargot, meaning “edible snail” Not all species of land snail are edible, and many are too small to make it worthwhile to prepare and cook them. Even among the edible species, the palatability of the flesh varies from species to species.
- 200-300 Conge / snails (black) or 50-100 Konge (Brown the large variety) or mix
- 3-4 tablespoon Xacuti masala
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 large onion medium chopped
- 1 large tomato medium chopped
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 1 Small marble size ball of tamarind in 100ml warm water
- ½ teaspoon ginger and garlic paste
- 1-2 medium size potatoes cut into cubes
- Salt to taste ( as required )
Roast the following:
- 1 freshly grated coconut
- 1 onion
- 4-5 deseeded Kashmiri chilies
1. Clean the Conge nicely under running water atleast 3-4 times.
2. Add all the Conge to a big pot.
3. Boil the Conge by adding 1 cup of water for 12 minutes.
4. Now to handle the Conge by hand add some cold water to the pot.
5. Take one Conge / snail and with the help of a toothpick or pin pull the meat out of the shell.
6. You will find a hard lid on top of the meat remove that and set the meat aside.
7. Now in a frying pan roast the onion, chillies and coconut separately and set aside to cool.
8. Take a mixer and add all the roasted ingredients along with turmeric and Xacuti masala powder and Grind to paste .
9. Use little water and coarsely grind the xacuti masala (Keep it a bit thinner that the usual xacuti masala as the Conge / snail meat is small)
1. In a pot saute the onions till they are translucent then add the tomatoes and cook till they become soft.
2. Add ginger and garlic paste and cook till the raw aroma disappears.
3. Now add the potatoes and cook for 1 minute (add little salt).
4. Add the Xacuti paste to the pot and cook for 1 minute.
5. After about 10 minutes add tamarind water and curry leaves (optional )
6. You can adjust the gravy by adding water to get the desired consistency.
7. Cover and cook till the Conge / Konge / Snails and potatoes are cooked and salt as required .